April 27, 2009

Dyea, Alaska

(Click image to enlarge)

I found an 1898 sterioview of Dyea, Alaska that I believe dates to its founding in 1897. Dyea was Skagway's rival port to the Klondike gold fields and was located just five miles away. This was the town stampeders went to if they chose to take the Chilcoot Trail, whereas people who chose the White Pass Trail deboarded the ship at Skagway. Eventually Skagway won out as the port to stop in and Dyea quickly became a ghost town.


(Click image to enlarge)

A close-up shows the details of a tent town with some people in view. The photograph below, taken in 2005 shows the Dyea site as it looks today. The yellow circle indicates what I believe to be the spot shown in the sterioview.


(Click image to enalrge)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment and/or question on my blog. I always read, and will answer all questions asap. Please know that they are greatly appreciated. -Jeff Smith