October 3, 2012

BBC's Copper and Soapy Smith, part 1

(Click image to enlarge)







opper, the new BBC America TV series is a hit! Well, at least in my home it is. It takes place in New York 1864. The sets and costuming are fantastic, as is the story line. The sets and police uniforms remind me of how I imagine Denver up to the early 1880s, which of course explains why I enjoy it so. This last Sunday they made reference to Soapy Smith (see above) and I'm hopeful a Soapy Smith character will take to the streets, selling cakes of soap with a prize inside.


 




"If there is vigor in the law Soapy Smith will be sent to the penitentiary. He is a professional swindler and has attempted murder before. There is not a more desperate nor dangerous person than he in Colorado who is allowed to run at large."
Rocky Mountain News, June 8, 1894.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment and/or question on my blog. I always read, and will answer all questions asap. Please know that they are greatly appreciated. -Jeff Smith